Skip to main content

18+ years of dieting

Lucky for me, my parents video taped a lot of my childhood; it was really cute, until it wasn't.  I went from a cute little blonde haired dancer to an overweight preteen in no time; I can't even pull those videos out to watch.  I don't know here the idea of dieting came from, I honestly don't know if it was my decision or not, but here is what I can remember that I have tried:

  • Atkins
  • South Beach
  • Weight Watchers
  • Slim for Life
  • Slim Fast
  • Neutrasystem
  • Herbalife
Sure, some of them probably helped me lose a few LBs but nothing real significant and quicker than I lost the weight, I would put it right back on.  I was always active and on the go, always playing sports, always outside, and really I didn't eat that much.  I had a doctor tell me at one point that I wasn't eating enough to keep my metabolism going.  Eventually, I went to college, and lived on my own, and money was tight, so the dollar menu was the best plan.  When I turned 21 and starting going out and staying out late, everybody wanted to hit the drive thru when the night was over, myself included.  Soda is my kryptonite BUT I have not had REAL SUGAR FULL OF CAFFEINE soda in about 8 months.  I have had all my labs and thyroid checked and everything is NORMAL and I was HEALTHY.  I never had any health issues until I got pregnant (High blood pressure) but that was corrected with medication and now it runs normal by itself.  I once lost 75 pounds right before I met my husband and then we started drinking beer and eating dinner at 9pm and POOF, it came back. I started researching for weight loss inspiration in January 2018 and not only did I get the MOST help from places like Instagram and blogs but I discovered that weight loss surgery was more popular than I would have ever imagined.  All of these people I found had VSG or RNY combined with diet and exercise and they were losing weight FAST.  I wanted and NEEDED to learn more so I asked around and found some people in my community that had got the procedures done.  I found MORE and MORE people on social media and I educated myself as much as possible.  I changed my diet and started working out on a regular basis and am now 75lbs down again.  I went to a seminar that the doctor I was interested in was doing and I went.  I had to sign up and give insurance information so they could do the hard work and look into all that for me.  I got the call that insurance WAS NOT GOING TO COVER IT because my employer opted out of it.  Anyway, at the seminar I learned about the procedures, the risk, the benefits, the time frames, and the cost (in full the thousands and thousands of dollars have to be paid two weeks in advance of your surgery).  I then looked into loans of all kinds and let me just tell you, the loan options that they hand out at the seminar are BS.  It is like 17% interest and JUST BAD.  The bank was a much better option if I had any collateral for them to use.  Yeah, I have an almost perfect credit score, and yeah I have bought a car, paid it off, and then traded it for a newer car which I am still paying on, but none of that matters.  I won't get into all the details of how I will have the money but lets just say you can live with just one kidney, HAHA just kidding :)  At one point, I even looked into going to Mexico to get it done.  I know that sounds super sketchy but I follow people on social media that have got it done and it as 75% cheaper and they have the same success.  Once the seminar was over, I made a consult with the surgeon, dietician, and physical therapist.  It was supposed to be 2.5 hours long but because I impressed them so much with my exercise and diet that I already do and my health, it was just under and hour and they had no concerns.  I had to see a psychiatrist or psychologist so they could do an eval on me and complete paperwork to ensure that my mind frame was good.  Getting into a psychiatrist or psychologist as a new patient is a joke; they only had opening MAYBE 2 months out.  I finally found one close to me who could get me in, in 2 days.  He talked to me about my childhood and what snacks I ate (I couldn't remember what snacks I ate and he acted real concerned about that but MOVING ON)  He spent about 45 minutes with me, insulted me saying that my husband only pretends to like my body, and then wrote up on paperwork that I am determined and have above average intelligence.  I often wonder if these are tactics they use to keep you coming back hmmmm.  So now, the doctor's office has all my paperwork and no concerns so next we schedule the surgery.  I am shooting for the end of 2018 so my mom who is a school teacher can help me during Christmas break.  I will share more details of everything as they happen but thats where I am at now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday

Hello all :) I was at a training this week with work and when deciding where we should eat somebody mentioned Olive Garden and I immediately dropped by head.  I know Olive Garden as PASTA, PASTA, PASTA so I wasn't looking forward to the temptation.  I don't know why I don't give myself credit for how strong I am.  My entire life, people couldn't pressure me to do ANYTHING I didn't want to.  I am SO STRONG and I make my own decisions; I am a lion, not a sheep :) (I want a shirt so bad that says "Be a lion")  Anyways, when we got there, I looked at the menu and right there on the lunch section were meals that were 300-400 calories and as soon as I saw zucchini I was in.  Its a half piece of chicken with a piece and a half of zucchini with mozzarella cheese and some lemon butter with tomatoes to top it off (I didn't eat those).  I left behind some zucchini and you know, I never once thought about pasta as I was sitting there.  On my way home I thought of

2 week liquid diet

Today is the day!  All liquids!  Well, except for the popsicles, jell-o, pickles, and celery.  I have to get in 4 premier proteins and then at least 48-64 oz of other liquids each day.  Other liquids include: Water Diet V-8 Splash Sugar free jello Sugar free popsicles (less than 25 calories per popsicle) Fruit 2-0 Crystal light Diet Snapple up to 2 cups of broth decaf tea and coffee Propel water Powerade zero I don't really know what some of those are and yesterday when I went to look for Diet V-8 Splash to try it out, I couldn't find it so who knows.  This morning I am having 2 vanilla premier protein shakes in a thermos with my decaf coffee.  I also have a 20oz thing of water sitting here and a 32oz grape Powerade zero.  Last night I made strawberry, lemon, and blue raspberry jello, I bought 3 different sizes of dill pickles, and then I have boxes of popsicles, all different kind of broths, all different flavors of Powerade, grape Propel, and some cinnamon tea

17 days post op

Happy New Year everybody! :). I can see now that these blog post that once were days apart are probably going to be weeks apart due to my YouTube being up and running. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkL_ZZWuw7kEq4N-IWQ4zw?view_as=subscriber Sorry but sometimes speaking is just easier than writing but I will do my best of keeping up both!  So I am almost 3 weeks out.  Getting into the fluids is getting easier, especially when I add protein powder to food and I don't have to worry about drinking the protein shakes.  Everything is slow for now, eating, drinking, walking....all slow :). It is the process though so slow we shall go!  I started a cup of coffee around 8:45 and finally finished it at 10:15.  Then I wait 30 minutes to eat.  So at 10:45 I made an egg with cheese and am slowly working on eating it.  I am not hungry....that kind of goes away with surgery so its about making yourself eat for nutritional value.  It's hard to keep eating when you don't feel like it