Skip to main content

FMLA....more like FML

So I decided it was time to tell my work place that I would be off for about 3 weeks at the end of the year and some of January so that we could all be prepared.  The hospital had talked to me about FMLA and when I asked my supervisor who to talk to about it, she stated Human Resources.  In my entire work life, I have never had to use FMLA, I know it stands for Family Medical Leave Act, and I know it protects your job, but thats about it.  I requested a meeting with the HR lady, she accepted, and then a week later I was standing in her office.  She stares at me like why the hell are you here, I remind her we have a meeting about FMLA, and she says "I thought there would be a lot more people here"  I am going to type the conversation in an easier read format below

HR: I thought there would be a lot more people
Me: Nope, just me and you
HR: WHO IS HAVING THE MEETING?
Me: Me and you
HR: blank stare
Me: I scheduled with you last week to meet about requesting FMLA...family medical leave act
HR: I KNOW WHAT FMLA IS
Me: So can we talk about it?  Can I shut your doors? *shuts the door*

So I tell her about the leave I have accrued, the dates I would need off, a few days that would be unpaid, and my requirements for returning to work

HR: I can't do the math in my head but it looks like you did it so we will go with that.  I don't know if you can use all of your leave.  You are going to have a doctor sign off on all of this.  I am going to have to get some answers to my questions and get back to you
Me: I think you just give me a paper that is filled out by the hospital

She finds the paper and gives me a copy.  She looks over it.  Example of the paperwork:

Employer fill out

____ _____ ____

Employee fill out

___ ____ _____

Hospital fill out

_____ _______ _____
Dr signature__________

HR: I don't know, I am confused at what to do
Me: It looks like the employer fills out the top, the employee fills out the middle, and the hospital fills out the rest.
HR: Well I don't know your job description
Me: It says right here you can attach my job description so you surely have a copy of that right? Ya know, don't worry about it, I will have my supervisor fill this part out

So I took the paperwork down to my supervisor and she filled it out in 2 seconds, and then I filled out my full name because thats all it asked of me, and then I faxed it to the hospital.  Next thing I know I am getting a call from the HR lady:

HR: So I talked to the director and we recommend you take a leave of absence.  It is the same as FMLA but with FMLA you only get 12 weeks a year and you don't want to run out.  He will sign off right now and approve it.
Me: I don't know what the difference between leave of absence and FMLA are so I will have to research it
HR: Nothing.  They are exactly the same and he has already approved the leave of absence
Me: I will have to research it because I need to make sure it secures my job.  And I am not worried about the 12 weeks a year, I have never had to use FMLA in my life.  I just need to do my own research
HR: FINE.  Do whatever you want, we don't care which one you choose

So I called my husband and asked him if he knew the difference and he said no and then I did my own research and I will tell you what the difference is.....leave of absence DOES NOT secure your job.  Just about the time I was reading that, I got a text from my husband with a screen shot of the same sentence.  I was so mad and I still kind of am.  The HR people at your work are supposed to be the people you can turn to, who can guide you, who can protect you, etc. and she failed me big time.  I don't know why she was pushing leave of absence so hard, I don't know what was even going on with her that day, but that isn't how employees should be treated.  I called her right then and said I did the research and it does not secure your job so I will be continuing with the FMLA.  She didn't even apologize for giving the wrong information or anything, just said OK, and we hung up.  Moral of the story, protect yourself and always do your own research.  I can't imagine what could of happened if I would have just trusted her and went with her suggestion and then didn't have a job at the end of those 3 weeks.  I am trying to improve my life here and that does not include being unemployed.  Lesson learned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday

Hello all :) I was at a training this week with work and when deciding where we should eat somebody mentioned Olive Garden and I immediately dropped by head.  I know Olive Garden as PASTA, PASTA, PASTA so I wasn't looking forward to the temptation.  I don't know why I don't give myself credit for how strong I am.  My entire life, people couldn't pressure me to do ANYTHING I didn't want to.  I am SO STRONG and I make my own decisions; I am a lion, not a sheep :) (I want a shirt so bad that says "Be a lion")  Anyways, when we got there, I looked at the menu and right there on the lunch section were meals that were 300-400 calories and as soon as I saw zucchini I was in.  Its a half piece of chicken with a piece and a half of zucchini with mozzarella cheese and some lemon butter with tomatoes to top it off (I didn't eat those).  I left behind some zucchini and you know, I never once thought about pasta as I was sitting there.  On my way home I thoug...

Social support

There is nothing like being supported by people who have the same goals as you, and in my situation that means HEALTH.  There are so many different paths to get there and I will cheer you on no matter what path you are taking.  I am so thankful for the Facebook groups, Instagram community, and YouTubers that all have gone through weight loss surgery or who are about to.  Being a part of those groups means I get to see how people are doing 10 year after surgery, 1 year after surgery, 1 day after surgery, and how they are preparing for their surgery. I would be LOST without all of them.  Of course the hospital gave me a book that talks about nutrition and stages and simple things like that, but these people give me their experience!  They do reviews on items so I don't waste my time, they do giveaways so you can save money, they show you all kinds of ideas for food and exercise, they show pain and issues they run into that I might run in to.....it is just amazing....

YouTube

You would think that with YouTube being around so long and the amount of time I spend on social media that I would have at least an idea of how to run it, but I don't.  I mean, I know that I have a YouTube, and I know how to search for videos and watch them, but beyond that, I am clueless.  I am watching YouTube vides on how to make YouTube videos 😃  I don't have any videos yet but I have a name on there and a banner and TRUST ME....that took some serious time.  I have figured out where I will probably be filming and I even bought some back drops so I can appear to look like I know what I am doing.  Josh wants to know why I need a back drop and why I wouldn't be walking around......he doesn't get it either.  I mean, I know some people VLOG which is so cool but I am not that advanced yet. I need to be sitting and talking into something and then when I get comfortable, I can maybe move around BUT my videos are more informational videos so I don't know why I ...